So my sister, Crystal, has run several half marathons and I've always thought it was neat, but didn't really want to try to do one. Well, back in August, she convinced me to run the next half marathon in Greenville, SC, with her. At the end of August I started a training schedule and started looking forward to/dreading the race day: Halloween. Training went well, and I really liked having a schedule tell me exactly what to run. Any time there was a long distance that I wasn't sure I could handle, Crystal would tell me, "Have faith in the schedule. If it says you can do it, you can do it." She was right!
So a few days before Halloween we made our 5th trip of the year up to SC for the race - spending Halloween with family was a big plus! Of course, I forgot to take my own camera on the trip, and haven't acquired the pictures taken on other cameras yet...shocker. So I don't have any pictures of the kids dressed up in their costumes or trick-or-treating yet, but I'll get them one of these days.
The race day was really perfect running conditions most of the time. The temperature was in the low 60's and it was a little misty. It did rain a little harder during part of the race, which was a bummer, but it was still WAY better than being hot!!
Crystal and I the morning of the race.
Andrew got up to see us off too - a little too chipper for 6-something in the morning.
The race finished up in the Greenville Drive baseball stadium. Kind of fun to run into a stadium full of people. The is me coming in, waving to our awaiting fans: Dan and the kids, my mom and dad, and Dan's mom and dad (drove down from Durham to spend Halloween with us). It was so nice to have fun people around to celebrate the fact the Crystal and I didn't die during the race!
There are professional photographers positioned throughout the race - taking lovely pictures!
There are professional photographers positioned throughout the race - taking lovely pictures!Crystal coming across the finish line.
Back at home with our medals. Totally rain-soaked, but glad to be done!
So it was a great experience! I had decided that if I finished in 2 and a half hours I would be happy. I managed to finish in 2 hours and 19 minutes, keeping a 10:40 pace - so I was pleased. I don't know whether or not a full marathon is in my future, but I am certain that it's not in my immediate future. However, I DO think that Crystal and I are going to run another half in Tybee Island in February. Almost time to start training again!
Wow, good for you! I feel proud to have been your running partner 10+ years ago. Yikes that is a long time!
ReplyDeleteI was excited to see the first picture where you looked like you might finally be breaking a sweat...... and then I noticed the umbrellas in the background! I probably would be that wet without the rain!! Congratulations, that is a fantastic time. Are you going to try to be faster for your next one?
ReplyDeleteThat is so awesome, I'm so proud of you. Look at you, you skinny-minny! I think I'm going to try and do one in the spring.
ReplyDeleteYay! That's so exciting. I love half marathons. They're a lot of fun. I would love to do one with you someday (if we ever live in the same area again...) I too haven't commited to running a full marathon yet. My dad just did one last summer and it will be his last. He says that the 1/2's are much more enjoyable and the perfect length. Good for you!!
ReplyDeleteI think you're awesome...!! We were so glad to be there and see victory :) for you and for Crystal!!
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome! I've decided to run a half marathon later this summer. (I wanted to give myself plenty of time to train) :) I'm really excited and nervous all at the same time. Congrats!
ReplyDelete