Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Andrew's First Birthday

I've said it before, I'll say it again....I really don't think that one-year-olds need a lot of hooplah for thier birthdays. So for Andrew's first birthday, we were super low-key, but had a fun day. Of course it's so hard to believe that he has already been with our family for a whole year. He is such a laid back, easy to love, joy of a child! A few days ago he finally made it to his knees to try out a real crawl as opposed to his army crawl that had become his primary mode of transportation. I think that I can feel his first tooth cutting through the bottom gum (I know...our latest teether so far), but still no visual on the chompers. He gets an absolute kick out of watching Jeffrey and Caitlyn being goofy. He has recently started this extreme head bobbing. He looks like he's just nodding very dramatically - it cracks us up! And he seems to think it's funny too since he does it over and over. We feel so lucky to have our sweet Andrew in our family!

When I solicited ideas for Andrew's cake, Jeffrey kept saying over and over that he should have flowers on his cake. Caitlyn's ideas weren't really intelegible, I just wanted a white cake with sprinkles, but Jeffrey went on and on about the flowers. So, we went with flowers. Very manly.

Our happy one-year-old hanging out in his walker.

Not sure he knows what to think about the candle on his cake.

Opening the new church clothes from Grandma Leckie.

Andrew starting in on the cake.

Getting used to the idea...

Enjoying making his own litle mess.




So...I decided I would try to make a yellow cake from scratch. "How hard can it be?" I think to myself. Well, let me just say that I'll never take Betty Crocker for granted again. I don't know what her secrets are, but I'll never try to imitate her again! However, those light, fluffy, delicious cakes that Betty Crocker produces don't stick together like a dense brick, allowing the birthday boy to handle it more easily.

Guess blue icing wasn't the best idea...

We love our little Andrew!

5 comments:

  1. Very fun! The last picture is definitely my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to the big boy! So cute! Yeah - I used blue icing for Samuel's cake - not the best color I figured out also! We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cutie! It's so fun that we get to see you family grow through the internet. We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your commentary on the cake - homemade definitely has a different consistency! LOVED that last picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute! I have a great homemade cake recipe that works if you'd like it sometime.:) I can't believe how fast they grow isn't it crazy! My baby is almost 20 months. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete